Cancer patients ‘not welcome’ in Russian neighbourhood

A bid by some Moscow residents to have young cancer patients removed from their neighbourhood has caused a stir on social media in Russia.

In a report on the Taki Dela human rights website, a charity co-ordinator says that her neighbours set up a petition to stop children who were being treated for cancer at the local Dmitry Rogachev Pediatric Centre living in their apartment block. agen bandarq

The residents described cancer as a contagious airborne disease and said that there was “a hotbed of infection” under their roof.

On reading about this, many doctors were quick to debunk their theories.

Dr Andrey Kaprin was quoted on Russia’s State News Agency, Tass, saying: “There is no research in the world that confirms that cancer is infectious in any country in the world.”

Posting on the popular messaging service, Telegram, Stalingulag garnered more than 50,000 views by saying: “This is a story about absolute evil that is much closer to anyone than we are accustomed to think.”

Russian comedians Vovan and Lexus got in on the act by calling the petition organiser Elena Allina and broadcasting their interview on YouTube.

During their conversation, they found out that Elena discovered her theory about cancer via a TV programme on Russian Defence Ministry-owned TV channel Zvezda.

However, Facebook user Mikhail Budaragin came to Elena’s defence, putting the blame on the “garbage” she watched on TV.

Miss USA sorry for offending contestants over lack of English

An Instagram post by a beauty queen questioning the English language skills of fellow contestants has caused a stir across social media.

The incident took place in the run-up to this year’s Miss Universe competition which is being held in Bangkok, Thailand, on Monday.

Miss USA, Sarah Rose Summers, was quick to apologise after realising her comments may have come across as offensive, although her original live video post had been liked more than 46,000 times. bandar ceme terpercaya

Ms Summers had said contestant H’Hen Nie, Miss Vietnam, is “so cute and she pretends to know so much English and then you ask her a question after having a whole conversation with her and she (nods and smiles).”

She added: “Miss Cambodia is here and doesn’t speak any English, and not a single other person speaks her language.

“Can you imagine? Francesca (Miss Australia) said that would be so isolating and I said yes and just confusing all the time,” Summers said. “Poor Cambodia.”

In her apology, which received more than 24,000 likes, Ms Summers said she would “never intend to hurt another.”

The three beauty contestants from Cambodia, USA and Vietnam have since had a discussion about what was said on Instagram.

Miss Summers added that it was also important to remember that the Miss Universe contest was an opportunity for women around the world to learn about other cultures and life experiences.

Reaction was swift across social media.

One Instagram user, debrasamuelbrown, added her comment to the original video: “Americans have issues with any non-American English speaking person. It’s weird how they expect everybody to speak like a yankee! What a wonderful world we live in with so many beautiful accents and so much flavour!”

Sorany Var, a self-confessed ‘proud Cambodian-American’ posted on Facebook that Rern Sinat, the current Miss Cambodia, did speak English – it was just very basic.

She put this down to the fact that Cambodia was still a developing country, and offered to teach her English “for free”.

Over in the Cambodian capital, Phnom Penh, Liya Rika called for more compassion, saying she didn’t think Miss USA meant to look down on Miss Cambodia, and that people should forgive her:

One user, tinetoy18, did not regard Ms Summers as fit for the Miss USA title: “You deserved to be forgiven but you do not deserve the crown anymore…You’re not a good example of a compassionate woman as you claimed.”

However, other comments praised her for owning up to her mistake and apologising, including ‘Team Elite Indonesia’.

YouTube Rewind backlash sparks unofficial Best of 2018 videos

YouTubers have taken it upon themselves to fix this year’s YouTube Rewind.

The annual video, which claims to review the highlights of 2018, became the most disliked in the website’s history. aduqq

It was criticised for not including enough content creators, with popular personalities PewDiePie, Shane Dawson and Logan Paul all notable absentees.

Now many YouTubers have used their skills to fix the problem by making their own round-ups for 2018 – and showing YouTube what it should have included.

The website said it was listening to the community response.

There have been many videos, some with millions of views, parodying the source material.

While YouTube’s official 2018 review video was criticised for shying away from controversial topics, these videos would suggest that the website’s own content creators embrace them.

For example, Logan Paul features prominently in many videos after his boxing bout with KSI in August, but he also appears for a video he posted in January which showed the body of a person who apparently died by suicide.

YouTube trends which made news headlines can be found throughout the videos, such as the so-called Tide Pod challenge.

‘Sub to Pewds’
Other “reviews” are more direct parodies, with some borrowing audio from the original video.

A section praising people who “found a way to help the causes that matter to them most” is parodied in a video thanking YouTubers like Markiplier who urged their followers to subscribe to PewDiePie.

This was in response to PewDiePie’s ongoing battle with Indian channel T-Series to retain his spot as most-subscribed to YouTuber.

Similar videos also saw parallels between a section dedicated to those “who proved it’s okay to talk about mental health this year” and Shane Dawson’s series of videos with Jake Paul.

Neither PewDiePie or Shane Dawson were included in the original video.

‘YouTube will be jealous’
Other videos were made to solve a different problem.

Several channels have produced videos at odds with YouTube Rewind’s focus on English-language content.

These videos have high production values, including full introductions and bespoke content made by YouTubers in their native language, with one Spanish-language video being seen over 700,000 times.

And other videos have taken to a different extreme by shining the spotlight on specific communities, with ZHC putting the focus on YouTube artists.

Rapper Lil Pump criticised for racist gesture

US-Colombian rapper Lil Pump has been accused of racism after he teased a new song which uses a derogatory term.

In the song’s lyrics, Pump says “they call me [Chinese basketball player] Yao Ming because my eyes real low” before adding the phrase “ching chong”.

In a video posted to his 17.4 million Instagram followers teasing the song, Pump pulls back his eyes as he mimes to the lyrics. daftar bandarq

Lil Pump rose to international prominence in 2017 with his song Gucci Gang, which has been viewed over 847 million times on YouTube.

The rapper has faced a backlash on social media, with Chinese users flooding his Instagram posts with comments calling him “racist” and “disgusting”.

Meanwhile on Chinese social media site Sina Weibo, thousands of users have added their voices to the criticism, with many posting screengrabs to prove they have reported Pump for inappropriate content on Twitter and Instagram.

Others have said that Pump “needs teaching some respect”, with some posting memes criticising anyone who says they like the song.

Hip hop hits back
The reaction in China has not merely been confined to the written word, with some taking things a step further and bringing their anger into the recording booth.

This has led to the creation of several “diss tracks” criticising Pump.

‘Mysterious’ smell gets up Tehran noses

A “mysterious” smell in Tehran is “not a cause for concern”, according to Iranian officials.

City officials held emergency meetings on Wednesday as thousands took to social media to complain about the “smelly,” “sulphur-like” and “fishy” odour. situs poker

The source of the smell, which made front page headlines in Iran, has not yet been identified.

Some reports suggested a burst sewage pipe in Enghelab (Revolution) Square might be the source of the odour. But according to the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency this was denied by Samim Rouzbahani, spokesperson for the Crisis Management Department of Tehran Municipality.

Hashtags translating as “smell”, “mysterious smell” and “unpleasant smell” trended on Twitter in Persian. Many were angered by a deputy governor’s claim that there was “nothing special” about the smell.

“While thousands of people have confirmed this bad smell, they [officials] show up and say it was nothing! This is how we know that whatever they deny is, in fact, true,” one social media user tweeted.

Mira Qorbanifar, a journalist with moderate newspaper Qanun, criticised the authorities for issuing contradictory statements and warned the issue should be taken seriously.

“Pollution sensors registered a 40-point increase in air pollution after the smell was detected,” she tweeted.

The air in Tehran is among the most polluted in the world, according to the World Bank. The city is frequently blanketed in smog, sometimes forcing schools in the capital to close. But it is unclear if the smell is linked to pollution.

Social media users offered their own theories on where the smell was coming from.

“The smell of embezzlement, theft, fraud and oppression,” noted one critic.

“This smell has been here for 40 years; it’s only just been detected,” said another, referencing the 1979 revolution.

“As China was sending its first spacecraft to the far side of the moon, Iranians were wondering ‘where is this stench coming from?’,” they added.

BBC Monitoring contributed to this report.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Lawmaker mocks college dance critics

In the eyes of some social media critics the United States’ youngest-ever congresswoman can do no right.

To a lengthy list of past misdemeanours, including her clothes and not being rich, can now be added the grievous crime of dancing while in college.

A day before Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was officially sworn-in, near decade-old footage of the congresswoman dancing as a student at Boston University re-emerged on Twitter, apparently in an effort to embarrass her.

On Friday Ms Ocasio-Cortez posted a new video of her dancing outside her new office in the halls of Congress to the tune of War by Edwin Starr.

“I hear the GOP thinks women dancing are scandalous. Wait till they find out Congresswomen dance too!” she wrote, referring to the Republican Party. poker online indonesia

The original post has been viewed more than 8 million times.

“Here is America’s favourite commie know-it-all acting like the clueless nitwit she is,” one right-wing Twitter account, @AnonymousQ1776, wrote as they shared the clip. The account, which appears to reference the bizarre QAnon conspiracy theory, has since been removed.

“After Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is forced out of office after one term she can go dance on a stage that has a pole,” said another.

But the criticism prompted a much larger wave of support for the congresswoman online.

“[Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez] is officially done,” comedian Patton Oswalt joked.

“She’ll never recover from the world seeing her dancing adorably and having fun with her friends.”

“I want Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to give me dance lessons,” Star Trek actor George Takei tweeted, while actor Russell Crowe declared her “fantastic”.

The video of Ms Ocasio-Cortez was compiled from a longer video featuring Boston University students. The video was posted to YouTube in 2010, when Ms Ocasio-Cortez was an undergraduate.

The video was part of a meme circulating at the time.

Participants, including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and other students at Boston University, emulated the dance from 1980s movie The Breakfast Club in a mash-up featuring the song Lisztomania, by French indie band Phoenix.

In an interview with the Hill, the new lawmaker said “it is not normal for elected officials to have a reputation for dancing well and I’m happy to be one”.

“It is unsurprising to me that Republicans would think having fun should be disqualifying or illegal,” she added.

How the life of China’s #IceBoy has changed one year on

Pictures of a young pupil arriving at school with frozen hair and swollen hands renewed discussion of child poverty in China when they were posted by his teacher in January 2018.

Dubbed “Ice Boy” by social media users, Wang, then eight years old, walked 4.5 km (2.8 miles) to get to school in southwest China’s Yunnan province – often in freezing temperatures.

His determination to get to school in such difficult conditions, and excellent performance in class, prompted a wave of sympathy and support online. bandar domino qiu qiu

Now nine, a lot has changed for Wang in the last 12 months – and he no longer has to trek miles to school in the snow, according to the People’s Daily.

Wang and his family have moved out of the mud hut they shared into a two-storey home just 10 minutes’ walk along a paved road from his school.

“Life is much better,” the boy’s father, Wang Gangkui told the publication.

“Compared with the mud walls and muddy road, we are much better sheltered from the wind and rain.”

‘Seeds of dreams’
Wang’s school has benefitted from increased investment.

Heating facilities have reportedly been installed in classrooms, while a dormitory has been built to house children who live far from the school.

“[Wang] is a top student and gets along well with his classmates,” deputy principal Fu Heng is quoted as saying.

“All the attention has made the pupils feel the wonder of the world and their ideas have changed a great deal. The seeds of dreams that one day they will be able to walk away from the mountains have been planted, and they are very hopeful for the future.”

Wang’s dream, however, remains the same.

As it was in 2018, he hopes in the future to become a police officer, so he can “catch the bad guys”.

“The power of the web really should not be underestimated,” one says, noting how it was online outcry that led to his change in conditions.

“The changes to Wang… and his family are gratifying,” wrote another social media user, Chen Li, on Weibo. “This is the credit of public opinion, and the joint effort of the local government and innumerable caring people.”

“The use of good governance will melt more ‘ice children’ and bring more power to poor children,” said another.

In his new year address, President Xi Jinping said the alleviation of rural poverty had been a focus of the past year.

He said: “125 poor counties and 10 million poverty-stricken rural residents were lifted out of poverty.

“To achieve our task of lifting another 10 million-plus rural residents out of poverty as planned, we shall remain focused and work hard on this.”

However, some social media users emphasised there was more still to be done in holding officials accountable if similar situations happened in regions for which they are responsible.

“If you catch corrupt officials, you can help the poor,” one user said.

Smartphone users warned to be careful of the Antichrist

People’s dependence on smartphones and modern technology could bring about the coming of the Antichrist, the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church has warned.

Russian social media users largely responded with humour and scepticism, while some accused the Church of “serving the regime”.

Speaking to Russian state TV, Patriarch Kirill said smartphone users should be careful when using the “worldwide web of gadgets” because it represented “an opportunity to gain global control over mankind”. ceme online

“The Antichrist is the person who will be at the head of the worldwide web, controlling all of humankind,” he said.

“Every time you use your gadget, whether you like it or not, whether you turn on your location or not, somebody can find out exactly where you are, exactly what your interests are and exactly what you are scared of,” Patriarch Kirill told Rossiya 1.

“If not today, then tomorrow methods and technology could appear that will not just provide access to all information but will also allow the use of this information.

“Do you imagine what power will be concentrated in the hands of those who gain knowledge about what is going on in the world?

“Such control from one place forebodes the coming of the Antichrist.”

Patriarch Kirill said his Church was not against “technological progress”, rather “the development of a system that is aimed at controlling a person’s identity”. But not all social media users were convinced.

“The Church is not against science and technological progress, but is concerned about the freedom of the individual. Yeah, sure,” joked one Twitter user.

“Smile, the Antichrist is about to fly out,” tweeted another, along with an image of a woman taking a selfie with Patriarch Kirill and other church representatives.

Patriarch Kirill is close to Russian president Vladimir Putin, who participates in big Church celebrations and has gone on pilgrimages to Mount Athos and other famous Orthodox sites. Many Russian Orthodox priests closely identify with President Putin’s nationalist agenda.

At a time when internet freedoms are increasingly restricted in Russia – and authorities are reportedly attempting to create an independent Russian internet – this closeness led some to accuse Patriarch Kirill of lending government policy divine authority.

“They ban international internet in Russia so that the Antichrist doesn’t come out of it,” one social media user remarked.

On Saturday, the Orthodox Church of Ukraine split from the Russian Church following centuries of Russian leadership, formalising a decision announced in October.

The move sparked a furious response in Moscow and deepened a split in the world wide Orthodox Church.

Chinese Peppa Pig fans wish to meet Queen

Thousands of users on the Chinese social media platform Sina Weibo are discussing a video message sent from the British Ambassador to two little girls. bandar ceme online

Dame Barbara Woodward, the British ambassador to China, has said she wants to help make their dream come true.

It comes after the girls Mi Ni and Mi Ai made a video on 31 December sharing their new year’s wishes. They said that after watching an episode of Peppa Pig where the animals visit the Queen that they too now wanted to meet her.

The girls added that their mother said she would take them to meet the Queen if they worked hard and practised piano.

The video, posted by their mother on Sina Weibo copying in the British Embassy, has since racked up millions of views. About 3.2 million have watched it via China Daily alone.

Dame Barbara has now replied to the girls with her own video message.

“I want to see what I can do to help make your dream come true,” she says in the video after thanking them for their message.

“But first I would like you to come and visit me in my house in Beijing,” she continues, “and we can perhaps have tea and scones in the British style.”

Posh Peppa
Many Weibo users have had their heart warmed by both the girls’ and ambassador’s videos.

“In the children’s minds, this was probably just a dream, but for someone to be willing to help her, that’s really good,” wrote one user.

“I am full of affection for those who help defend a child’s dreams,” said another comment praising the ambassador.

But not everyone was so happy. One user questioned if Peppa Pig was “secretly instilling the children with an aristocratic consciousness”.

“This is the unified plan of capitalist countries,” posted another.